Pride has safer spaces volunteers that are trained on how to create spaces that are anti-oppresive and anti-racist. Sometimes these volunteers are available to help out at events put on by other organizations. If you would like to have UVic Pride safer spaces volunteers at you event, please be aware of the 12 non-negotiables below. Please remember: we need at least two (2) weeks notice in order to commit to volunteering for an event.
- We need to be announced at events publicly – describe armbands, and how to find us, who we are and why were there. Take effort to make sure the volunteers are physically visible in the announcement so people know who to look for. Make sure people are notified at the door of these things.
- We need to have an event agreement to uphold – either the one previously made by us or made by the exterior group in collaboration with us. We should have a baseline policy to give as example or to use.
- We need to be able to remove people from the event space who break policy or are unsafe, and this decision needs to be upheld.
- Accessible Gender Inclusive washrooms must be available to everyone.
- Exterior groups must have Harm Reduction and anti-stigma policies in place for their event.
- No searches of bodies or belongings at events. We are willing to work with you to deconstruct the ideas that security searches are necessary.
- Make sure it is known that our Safer Spaces volunteers and Harm Reduction volunteers are two separate things – make sure this is clear that in asking for Safer Spaces volunteers exterior groups are NOT getting Harm Reduction volunteers as well, they must ask for the two separately.
- Exterior Groups must make aware of accessibility issues, such as strobe lights, smoke machine, base, intense stimuli (audio, visual, etc.), etc.
- Exterior groups made make clear who needs to be notified for accessibility issues.
- When possible, Volunteers need to be provided with two bus tickets – one for the ride there and one for the one back.
- UVic Pride must be able to provide at least two volunteers per shift.
- Exterior group must give adequate timing for Pride to organize our volunteers – bare minimum of two weeks prior notice from the date of the event.
If you are interested in having some of UVic Pride’s safer spaces volunteers present at your events, please contact us!
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com
Phone: (250) 472-4393 (leave a message for the Safer Spaces coordinators)
In person: UVic Pride Centre, B010 Student Union Building, University of Victoria