Last week some new legislation was signed into law that in part allows one to change legal gender/sex without requiring any surgery, which is pretty useful. this brings bc legislation in line with the ruling of the 2012 ontario human rights tribunal. (http://www.canlii.org/en/on/
As this has just passed into legislation, applications are beginning to go in and more information will be continually updated.
- one still has to have a physician or psychologist fill out a confirming document.
- If a minor, one’s parents or guardians must also sign the application.
- fees run between $56 (adult) and $27 (minor), not including fees for replacement documents.
- If one made less than $20,000 in the previous year & has urgent need to update their information, then the fee may be waived.
- Additional fees may be required by the physician/psychologist for filling out the form.
- Choices for gender/sex marker remains M or F.
- Psychologist services are not typically covered by MSP unless employed in a hospital, correctional facility, community clinic, social agency or school.
All forms can be found at the bottom of this page: https://www.vs.gov.bc.ca/